Ready for some tangy fun with a healthy punch. Yes, it is time for some exotic salads, prepared with all the flavours and taste.
EGGPLANT & SUMMER SQUASH SALAD
The homemade balsamic reduction is the key to this salad. Watch the vinegar as it reduces; it can burn easily.
1. Place vinegar in a small saucepan; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer; cook, stirring occasionally and watching carefully to prevent burning, until syrupy and reduced to about 2 Tbsp., 12 to 15 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl and let cool.
2. Meanwhile, preheat grill to medium-high.
3. Slice eggplant, yellow squash, and zucchini diagonally into 1/4-inch slices. Toss with 7 Tbsp. oil, salt, and pepper in a large bowl.
4. Cook the vegetables until tender, 2 to 5 minutes per side. Arrange on a platter.
5. Drizzle the vegetables with the remaining 1 Tbsp. oil and the reserved balsamic syrup. Top with olives and basil.
TOMATO-JICAMA SALAD WITH AVOCADO-CHIPOTLE DRESSING
Look for sliced or whole jicama —it’s a root vegetable that tastes like pears. It has a mild, and refreshing flavour with a distinct crunch.
1. To prepare the dressing: Whisk oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper in a large bowl.
2. To prepare salad: Add romaine, tomatoes, bell pepper, watermelon, parsley, oregano, and mint to the bowl; toss with the dressing. Top with olives and feta, gently toss again and serve immediately.