Who has time to cook? You do! These recipes prove it takes only minutes to make a delicious, healthful meal.
Cocoa Almond French Toast
SERVINGS 2 (2 slices bread, 1 tablespoon chocolate syrup, and 2 tablespoons raspberries each)
CARB. PER SERVING 29 g
START TO FINISH 10 minutes
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1⁄3 cup refrigerated or frozen egg product, thawed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 cup dark chocolate-flavor almonds, finely chopped
- 4 slices light whole wheat bread
- 2 tablespoons sugar-free chocolate-flavour syrup
- 1⁄4 cup fresh raspberries
- In a shallow dish beat together almond milk, egg, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Set aside 1⁄2 tablespoon of the almonds for garnish. Place remaining almonds in another shallow dish.
- Coat a griddle or large skillet with nonstick cooking spray and heat over medium heat. Meanwhile, dip each bread slice in the egg mixture for about 10 seconds per side. Dip soaked bread in the almonds, turning to coat both sides.
- Cook coated bread slices on hot griddle for 4 to 6 minutes or until golden brown, turning halfway through cooking time. Cut slices in half diagonally. Place on two plates.
- Drizzle chocolate syrup over the bread slices; top with raspberries. Sprinkle with the reserved almonds.
Per serving: 250 cal., 12 g total fat (1 g sat. fat), 0 mg chol., 391 mg sodium, 29 g carb. (8 g fibre, 4 g sugars), 15 g pro. Exchanges: 0.5 fruit, 1.5 starch, 1.5 lean meat, 1 fat.
Quick fix: This breakfast gets a double punch of almond flavour from Unsweetened Almond Breeze Almond Milk (only 30 calories per cup) and one of our all-time favourite office snacks, Emerald Cocoa Roast Almonds.
Curry Chicken Salad Lettuce Wraps
SERVINGS 2 (3 wraps each)
CARB. PER SERVING 21 g
START TO FINISH 15 minutes
- 1 5.3-ounce carton plain fat-free Greek yoghurt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon curry powder
- 6 ounces seedless red grapes, halved
- 4 ounces refrigerated grilled chicken breast, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery (1 stalk)
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds, toasted
- 6 lettuce leaves
- Honey (optional)
- In a medium bowl stir together yoghurt, curry powder, and a dash of black pepper. Add grapes, chicken, celery, and almonds; stir to combine.
- Divide the chicken mixture among the lettuce leaves. To eat, wrap the lettuce around the chicken mixture. If desired, drizzle with honey before serving.
Per serving: 219 cal., 5 g total fat (1 g sat. fat), 37 mg chol., 0 mg sodium, 21 g carb. (2 g fibre, 17 g sugars), 24 g pro. Exchanges: 1 fruit, 0.5 starch, 3 lean meat.
Quick fix: Oscar Mayer Deli Fresh Grilled Chicken Breast is 97 percent fat free and is a quick stand-in when you don’t have time to grill chicken for recipes. We like Oikos plain nonfat Greek yoghurt in this chicken salad (and other mayo-base salads) because it’s a thick and creamy substitute for mayonnaise that cuts out major calories.
Asian Stir-Fry with Shrimp
SERVINGS 4 (2 cups each)
CARB. PER SERVING 18 g
START TO FINISH 20 minutes
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons Asian chili sauce (Sriracha sauce)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil or olive oil
- 1 pound fresh or frozen medium shrimp, peeled and deveined, thawed if frozen
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 3 8-ounce packages refrigerated spaghetti-shape noodle substitute, drained and rinsed
- 1 12-ounce package fresh stir-fry vegetable medley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- In a small bowl whisk together 3 tablespoons water, the hoisin sauce, soy sauce, and Asian chili sauce; set aside.
- In a very large skillet heat 1 tablespoon of the canola oil over medium-high heat. Add shrimp, garlic and ginger to hot oil. Stir-fry 2 for minutes or until shrimp are opaque; remove from skillet. Pat dry noodle substitute with paper towels.
- Heat the remaining canola oil in skillet. Add vegetables to hot oil; stir-fry for 3 to 4 minutes or until crisp-tender. Add noodle substitute and hoisin sauce mixture to vegetables in skillet; stir to coat. Return shrimp to skillet; toss until heated through. Divide among four bowls. If desired, sprinkle with sliced green onions. Drizzle with sesame oil. Serve immediately (sauce thins as it stands).
PER SERVING: 246 cal., 10 g total fat (1 g sat. fat), 130 mg chol., 631 mg sodium, 18 g carb. (5 g fibre, 6 g sugars), 22 g pro. Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 0.5 starch, 2.5 lean meat, 1.5 fat.
Quick fix: Dole Stir Fry Medley is a mix of veggies already prepped for dinner. They’re great with low-carb Tofu Shirataki noodles. You’ll find both in the refrigerated produce section at stores
Recipes by Laura R. Walsh