Summertime brings gardens bursting with juicy tomatoes. There’s no limit to what you can do in the kitchen with these nutrition powerhouses. So for a kick start here is the recipe of tomato-zucchini slaw and summer fresh gazpacho.
Italian Tomato-Zucchini Slaw
Preparation Time 30 minutes
Bake Time 2 hours 15 minutes
1. Preheat oven to 105°C. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Arrange tomatoes in a single layer on prepared baking sheets. Bake for 1 hour. Transfer 1⁄4 of the tomatoes to a blender; set aside. Turn the remaining tomatoes over; bake for
75 minutes more or until dry but still slightly soft. Cool on baking sheets on wire racks.
2. For the dressing, add the next five ingredients (through pepper) to tomatoes in a blender. Cover and blend until smooth.
3. In a large bowl combine the next five ingredients (through oregano). Chop the remaining tomatoes and add to zucchini mixture. Drizzle with dressing; toss to coat. Sprinkle servings with pine nuts. Serve immediately.
Test Kitchen Tip: To make long thin shreds, trim off ends of zucchini. Run a julienne peeler along the full length of the zucchini. Or use a vegetable spiral slicer to make zucchini “noodles.” You can also cut the zucchini into long thin strips by hand or use a vegetable peeler to make long thin zucchini ribbons.
Per Serving: 116 Cal., 6 g Total Fat, 1 mg Chol., 162 mg Sodium, 13 g Carb., 4 g Pro.
Summer Fresh Gazpacho
Preparation Time 45 minutes
Chill Time 4 hours Stand Time 30 minutes
1. In a large bowl combine the first eight ingredients (through black pepper). Transfer half of the mixture to a blender or food processor. Add the 3 Tbsp. lime juice and the water. Cover and blend or process until smooth. Return to the remaining tomato mixture; stir until combined. Cover and chill 4 to 24 hours.
2. For cucumber topping, in a small bowl combine the next three ingredients (through kosher salt). Cover and let stand 30 minutes. Transfer to a colander; rinse with cold water and drain well. Return to a small bowl. Stir in vinegar and the 1⁄4 cup lime juice; press vegetables down into the liquid. Cover and chill 4 to 24 hours, stirring once or twice.
3. Before serving, in a small bowl combine yoghurt and honey. Drain cucumber topping. Serve soup with yoghurt mixture, cucumber topping, and mint.
Per Serving: 73 Cal., 0 g Total Fat, 0 mg Chol., 158 mg Sodium, 16 g Carb., 3 g Pro.