Getting bored with everyday vegetables. Try these recipes which are healthy and tasty to eat using simple ingredients that are there in your kitchen.
Cheesy Chipotle-Cauliflower Mac
Time: 40 min.
3 cups Cauliflower Florets
8 oz. Whole-Wheat Shell Pasta
1 cup nonfat Milk
1 Chipotle Pepper in Adobo (minced), plus 1tbsp. Adobo Sauce
1 tbsp. Olive Oil
¼ cup Finely Chopped Yellow Onion
2 cloves Garlic (minced)
4 cups Chopped Fresh Spinach
¼ tsp. Salt
1 tbsp. Whole-Grain Dijon Mustard
4 oz. Reduced-Fat Cheddar Cheese, (shredded about 1 cup)
2 oz. Part-Skim Mozzarella Cheese, (shredded about ½ cup)
Ground Pepper (Garnishing)
1. Place a steamer basket in a large saucepan, add water to just below the basket, and bring to a boil. Add cauliflower to the basket; cover, reduce heat to medium and steam until very tender, 8 to 10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook pasta for 2 minutes less than the package directions. Drain the pasta and transfer to a large bowl.
3. Transfer the cauliflower to a food processor or blender. Add milk, chipotle, and adobo sauce; puree until smooth.
4. Dry the large saucepan. Add oil and heat over medium heat. Add onion and cook until softened and transparent, 2 to 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, 1 minute. Add spinach and cook until lightly wilted two minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low, carefully add the cauliflower mixture, and stir to combine. Stir in salt and mustard. Gradually whisk in Cheddar and mozzarella just until smooth, about one minute. Then remove from heat.
5. Pour the sauce over the pasta and gently stir to combine. Garnish with pepper and paprika, if desired.
Per serving (11/4 cups each): CAL 447, CARB 57 g (8 g fiber, 6 g sugars), FAT 15 g (6 g sat. fat), PROTEIN 25 g, CHOL 32 mg, SODIUM 601 mg.
Roasted Broccoli with Garlicky Tahini Sauce
Time: 25 min.
1½ lbs. Broccoli
1tbsp. Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
½ tsp. Ground Pepper
2 tbsp. Tahini
2 tbsp. Lemon Juice
1 tbsp. Honey
1 tbsp. Reduced-Sodium Soy Sauce
2 cloves Garlic (minced)
½ tsp. Ground Coriander
⅓ cup Thinly Sliced Scallions
⅓ cup Coarsely Chopped Cilantro
1 tsp. Toasted Sesame Seeds
1. Position a rack in bottom third of oven; preheat to 500°F. Set a large rimmed baking sheet on the rack to preheat.
2. Cut broccoli florets into 1-inch pieces. Peel tough outer layer from the broccoli stalks cut the peeled stalks into 2-inch-long pieces, then slice into ½-inch-thick planks. Toss the broccoli with oil and pepper in a large bowl.
3. Arrange the broccoli in a single layer on the hot pan. Roast until tender and starting to brown, 9 to 10 minutes.
4. Whisk tahini, lemon juice, honey, soy sauce, garlic, and coriander in a large bowl. Add the broccoli, scallions, and cilantro and toss to coat. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
Per serving (11/3 cups each): CAL 164, CARB 20 g (5 g fiber, 8 g sugars), FAT 9 g (1 g sat. fat), PROTEIN 7 g, CHOL 0 mg, SODIUM 205 mg.