Do you have Tooth Abscess? Wondering what a tooth Abscess means? A tooth abscess is an accumulation of fluid called ‘pus’ that forms inside the soft pulp or roots of the teeth or in between the gums, which typically originates from a bacterial infection. Bacteria in the mouth combine with the tiny food particles and saliva which forms plaque that builds up on the teeth. This causes openings in the teeth enamel and the infection may also spread from the root of the teeth to the teeth bones which can be a very severe issue. Also, eating foods rich in carbohydrates can cause the bacteria in plaque to become more active leading to spread of tooth abscess. Various sugary and fizzy drinks contain bacteria which produce acids in the mouth. The combination of bacteria and excess acid production in the mouth can lead to the formation of a dental abscess.
Types of dental abscess
There are two types of abscesses. Periapical Abscess is a tooth-related Abscess which occurs inside the tooth. An abscess usually leads to the development of plaque, bacteria which affects your dental health by the formation of tiny holes which are often caused by tooth decay. The bacteria continue to infect the centre of the tooth until it reaches the bone that surrounds and supports your tooth.
Periodontal Abscess is a gum-related abscess which is usually caused when the food gets confined between the tooth and the gum causing the formation of bacterial infection.
Symptoms for dental abscess
Abscesses can be prevented if appropriate measures are taken at the right time. As per the dentist recommendations, one should keep in mind a few basic rules to avoid severity at the time of abscess.
Avoid hot and cold food and drinks, avoid fruits as they contain high amounts of sugar until the infection is healed, avoid chocolates, honey and sweets during tooth abscess as it could worsen the situation.
Eat rich foods that contain proteins and healthy fats (like ghee, butter, coconut oil). Chew the foods from the unaffected area. Flossing should be avoided until it is completely treated. Choose the toothbrush correctly; it must not be very hard.